With so many models of e-collars available on the market these days, choosing the right electric dog trainer for your dog might seem a bit intimidating. The wide assortment of unique features, variations in types of correction and stimulation levels, and the abundance of specialized designs is really enough to make just about any consumer’s head spin.
Thankfully, you’re not alone on your journey to finding the perfect electric collar for your dog. Check out these simple tips, and you will be on your way to experiencing a satisfactory dog training experience before you know it.
Things to Consider When Selecting the Perfect E-collar for Your Situation
In order to determine the best electric dog collar to fit your unique needs, there are a few things that you should consider.
- Size: The size of your dog plays an important part in determining the correct e-collar for your circumstances. While some e-collar are designed with smaller receiver collars that can fit comfortably on dogs weighing as little as 5 lbs., others are recommended for dogs who are larger than 35 lbs. Consider the approximate weight of your dog and look for models that are compatible.
- Use: What do you intend to use your remote dog training system for? Do you need an electric shock system for boundary containment? Are you looking for a solution to help prevent your dog from nuisance barking? Do you plan to use your e-collar for obedience training, tactical training or hunting? There is a wide variety of e-collars available on the market that are designed for specific forms of training and behavior correction, so consider the issues that you wish to correct and look for models that are recommended to suit your needs.
- Range: Consider the area in which you intend to perform most of your training sessions. Will you be providing obedience training inside your home or apartment? Will your dog experience most of his training adventures while contained in a small area like your own yard? Will training occur in an open field or larger area like a farm, park, or while hunting? Advances in technology have enabled e-collars to offer huge variances when it comes to range, with some models offering a mere 100 yards of range and others offering more than a mile.
- Number of Dogs: How many dogs do you plan to use your remote dog trainer for? While some models are designed specifically for one or two dogs, other models can be expanded for use with as many as four dogs while using a single remote control transmitter.
- Type of Dog(s): Is your dog mild tempered, stubborn, deaf, or a combination of all of the above? With low to high power output devices, low to medium output devices, and even vibration mode only systems available, you are certain to find the perfect e-collar to suit your dog’s needs.